Tuesday, January 8, 2008

We have arrived!




We are approaching day 3 here at National Jewish. It has been an amazing experience this far. The first day we had a wonderful time meeting the doctors and touring the facility. We are staying in the Children Care Unit of the Pediatric Unit of the hospital/research center. It is a huge unit, but there are only 5 families in the day program. This center is referred to by doctors and patients as the "last chance facility".

The other 4 families here have exhausted the medical care available to them in their home state. It has been an awesome experience to be able to meet these struggling families. We have group therapy, activities and classes.


Each patient is assigned their own doctor, nurse, and therapist, so you are actually receiving the attention and care that you need. Instead of waiting on nurses and doctors, they are constantly waiting for me. Our daily schedule is on the wall in the main room, so I just wake up and go apointment to apointment until "downtime".


The kitchen cooks food for J and it is ALL dairy, soy, gluten and egg free. I feel like I have arrived in heaven. I wish that Big-D and D could come here and we could stay forever. :]


The doctors have viewed the DVD that I made containing J's reaction to soy. They were so impressed that they had me sign a media waver so that they can use it as a teaching tool at seminars and in classrooms. They think that by allowing the doctors and students to view the video that they will be able to better understand what is happening to human body when it is having a severe reaction.


I could go on and on about all of the experiences that I am having but I will just leave you with a J update;


They think that there are multiple problems with J's system. They are looking at colitis, protein intolerance, eosinophilic gastroenteritis and retesting for food allergies.


Today they put a PH Probe up his nose and into his belly. He will have it in for 24 hours. It will tell us if he is having any acid reflux. He is not allowed to touch the wire, so they have his arms in straight casts and he has to have the monitor in a backpack on his back. I have been calling him Buzz Lightyear, just imagine, straight arms and a backpack.


J thanks you for your calls, prayers and get well wishes.


Until next time "to infinity and beyond!"

1 comment:

bluembrownlee said...

I am SO happy to hear that you and Jack are finally getting the respect and care you guys deserve!! yaaaaaay!!! I can imagine how relieved and happy you are feeling. I hope Jack continues to get better and better and that they are able to help him. Too bad we don't live closer - I wish I could visit you guys!!
-Mary :) ♥